Title: Dean, The University of Tennessee Extension
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Duration of Appointment: Permanent with no scheduled termination date
Revision Date: February 23, 2017
The Dean of The University of Tennessee Extension is administratively responsible to the Chancellor of the Institute of Agriculture, The University of Tennessee. The Dean, in cooperation with the Extension Administrator at Tennessee State University, is responsible for the comprehensive administration of the statewide Extension system in Tennessee. Information about programs and personnel of UT Extension is available at https://extension.tennessee.edu.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities of the Dean are to carry out visionary leadership, administration, and advocacy; promote excellence and innovation in extension educational programs and initiatives that meet needs of the people of Tennessee; promote the recruiting and professional development of a qualified faculty and staff; manage and control finances and assets; provide leadership in securing funds and other resources from multiple sources; nurture productive relationships with a variety of entities across the Institute of Agriculture and the broader University community as well as with the Tennessee Legislature, Tennessee Department of Agriculture, Tennessee Department of Health and Human Services, Tennessee Department of Education, United States Department of Agriculture, extension services in other states, and other constituents external to The University of Tennessee.
The Dean is expected to provide visionary leadership in strategic initiatives to enhance the standing of Extension, UTIA and the University of Tennessee. The Dean will contribute to the enhancement of diversity and interculturalism, resource enhancement and engagement of UTIA with the wider community.
Candidates must have an earned terminal degree and evidence of scholarly, professional, or creative achievement sufficient to qualify for tenure as a full professor in one of the units at the Institute.
A working knowledge of and appreciation for effective extension education programs in agriculture, natural resources, community economic development, family and consumer sciences, and 4-H Youth Development is required. Previous professional experience in extension at a large and complex organization is also required. Additionally, candidates must have the communication and public relation skills and other personal attributes necessary to motivate and decisively lead UT Extension. Candidates must also have a demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Preference will be given to candidates who have at least one higher education degree in a field of agriculture, natural resources or family and consumer sciences; and have a demonstrated ability to administer budgets and manage personnel in an academic environment.
The Dean will have significant knowledge and understanding of higher education. Specific skills include:
•Demonstrated leadership skills and abilities.
•Commitment to quality and integrity.
•Possess a service-oriented approach to leadership.
• A broad knowledge of agriculture, natural resources, family and consumer sciences, 4-H Youth Development and outreach activities.
• Demonstrated leadership and abilities in the administration of higher education agricultural with substantive experience, preferably in a large public and/or land grant institution.
• Skilled problem-solver.
• Demonstrated ability to forge successful relationships and partnerships.
• Exceptional skills in communications and interpersonal relations.
• Commitment to and appreciation for diversity as well as knowledge of affirmative action and equal employment opportunity.
• Commitment to economic development in the communities UTIA serves.
• Ability and willingness to delegate effectively and to hold direct reports accountable.
• Skilled decision-maker, with transparency in decision-making and management.
• Excellent oral, written and presentation skills; exceptional listening skills.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to travel frequently.
The Dean of Extension will exhibit qualities of emotional maturity, genuineness, self-confidence, common sense, judgment, fairness, creativity, discretion, decisiveness, political savvy, diplomacy, tact, resiliency, adaptability, courage of convictions and tolerance for ambiguity. Demonstrated behavioral expectations include:
• Ability to foster teamwork and to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
• Unquestioned integrity and trustworthiness.
• Commitment to the mission of Extension and to the campus and University strategic plans.
• Ability to make good, consistent and fair decisions based on fact and data.
Application and Nomination Process:
The position will be available beginning March 6, 2017. Screening of applications will begin mid-March and continue until a qualified candidate fills the position.
To apply, submit a curriculum vita; letter of interest detailing specific talents and experience; and the name, address, and telephone number of five professional references. Nominations of qualified individuals are welcomed. Applications and nominations should be submitted to:
Ashlie Czyz, Executive Recruiter
The University of Tennessee
105 Student Services Building
1331 Circle Park Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.